Ganmodoki is a fried tofu fritter made with vegetables. XXX-modoki means xxx-ish in Japanese. Gan is a kind of wild goose, and make the fake gan goose food with tofu as a temple vegetarian food (shôjinryorui in Japanese). You can buy it at any shops in Japan, it’s always next to tofu. We also use it as an ingredient with other ingredients or arrange it. But the freshly made crispy and inside fluffy ganmodoki is really yummy, therefore I recommend to taste it just simply with soy sauce, grated daikon radish or karashi (Japanese mustard). This recipe is with carrot, hijiki seaweed, edamame, but you can add or change to other your favourite vegetables (snow pea, lotus roots, mushroom,….) and create your own ganmodoki!
Ganmodoki (fried tofu fritter made with vegetables)
Published on 07/02/2021 | In By MatchaGreen |
- 10-12 pieces
- 500g farm type tofu
- 1/2-1 egg (depends on the tofu)
- 15cm carrot : peel and cut 3cm julienne
- 2tbsp edamame (without shell) : cut roughly if you like
- 2 tbsp hijiki seaweed : soak in water in 10 minutes
- 1 tsp sesame seed
- 3 tbsp potato starch (or flour)
- * 50g nagaimo or 1 tbsp psyllium (soak in 2tbsp water in advance) *if you don't have it, add plus potato starch.
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Wrap the tofu with cooking paper and put a weigh, leave 1 hour and squeeze out excess water. (but if the tofu is already very hard, it doesn't need it. (In general, the European tofu is more harder than in Japan) Mash the tofu with masher or use a food processor, make it smooth paste.
- Boil the vegetables in salted water in a few minutes (still crunchy texture is good). Add all ingredients to the tofu (the vegetables, hijiki seaweed, sesame seed, nagaimo or phylum, potato starch, salt, soys sauce and egg. Adjust the adding egg, it depends on the texture. Add the half of egg first, then add just you can make a nice tofu ball.
- Grease your hands with cooking oil, take a tablespoon of the tofu mixture and form a flat ball. Heat the cooking oil to 170°C, add the tofu balls and fry until they are slightly brown in colour and crispy. Service with soy sauce with Karashi (Japanese mustard), grated daikon radish, grated ginger or salt.
- Course : Dairy free, Gluten free, Vegetarian
- Recipe Type :
- Ingredient : Tofu